Jazz Piano Requirements
Pianists auditioning for Jazz Studies will play for the Jazz Studies faculty only.
Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies
Bachelor of Science in Music and an Outside Field (Jazz Studies Emphasis)
- From memory be prepared to play: 1) melody with chord changes, 2) comp chord changes, and 3) solo in the right hand with chord changes in the left hand on two tunes: one tune selected from the list below, and one additional tune that is not a blues, "rhythm changes" tune, or ballad.
Required audition repertoire (select one):
All Things You Are Joy Spring
There Will Never Be Another You Groovin' High
Half Nelson On Green Dolphin Street
Stella by Starlight Have You Met Miss Jones?
What Is This Thing Called Love? Confirmation
- Students should prepare major scales (and their modes), whole tone, diminished and ascending melodic minor scales (and their modes).
- Auditionees may be asked to sight-read chord changes and typical jazz ensemble parts.
- Pianists auditioning for the BM or BSOF in Jazz Studies will also play classical repertoire in their audition for the jazz faculty and should be prepared to perform the following:
Three contrasting classical pieces to be played from memory, including:
a) a Prelude & Fugue from Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier (either book 1 or Book 2)
b) a first movement of a classical sonata from Haydn, Mozart or Beethoven (excluding Beethoven's Op.2/1, Op 49/1, and Op. 79)
c) a short work from the nineteenth or twentieth century.
Master of Music in Jazz Studies
- Prepare major scales (and their modes), whole tone, diminished and ascending melodic minor scales (and their modes).
- Play the melody and improvise from memory on the chord changes of one tune from each of the following three lists.
- Bebop tunes: Groovin' High, Half Nelson, Confirmation, Donna Lee, Joy Spring, Stablemates.
- Standard tunes: All The Things You Are, Stella By Starlight, What Is This Thing Called Love?, Star Eyes, Alone Together, There Will Never Be Another You, Have You Met Miss Jones?, On Green Dolphin Street
- Post-bop tunes: Giant Steps, Moment's Notice, Bolivia, Inner Urge, Dolphin Dance, Moontrane.
- Auditionees may be asked to sight-read chord changes and typical jazz ensembles parts.