Jazz Trumpet and Trombone Requirements
Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies (B.M.)
Bachelor of Science in Music and an Outside Field (Jazz Studies Emphasis) (B.S.O.F.)
- Undergraduate applicants must also perform a separate classical audition for the brass faculty. Please consult the audition requirements on the Brass Department page.
- Jazz repertoire: Play the melody and improvise on two tunes from memory: one tune selected from the list below, and one additional tune that is not a blues, "rhythm changes" tune, or ballad.
Required audition repertoire (select one):
All Things You Are Joy Spring
There Will Never Be Another You Groovin' High
Half Nelson On Green Dolphin Street
Stella by Starlight Have You Met Miss Jones?
What Is This Thing Called Love? Confirmation
- Students should prepare major scales (and their modes), whole tone, diminished and ascending melodic minor scales (and their modes).
- Auditionees may be asked to sight-read chord changes and typical jazz ensemble parts.
Master of Music in Jazz Studies
- Prepare major scales (and their modes), whole tone, diminished and ascending melodic minor scales (and their modes).
- Play the melody and improvise from memory on the chord changes of one tune from each of the following three lists.
- Bebop tunes: Groovin' High, Half Nelson, Confirmation, Donna Lee, Joy Spring, Stablemates.
- Standard tunes: All The Things You Are, Stella By Starlight, What Is This Thing Called Love?, Star Eyes, Alone Together, There Will Never Be Another You, Have You Met Miss Jones?, On Green Dolphin Street
- Post-bop tunes: Giant Steps, Moment's Notice, Bolivia, Inner Urge, Dolphin Dance, Moontrane.
- Auditionees may be asked to sight-read chord changes and typical jazz ensembles parts.