Jazz Voice Requirements
Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies
Bachelor of Science in Music and an Outside Field (Jazz Studies Emphasis)
You may perform with or without microphone:
- A piece of your choice in 12-bar blues form (such as Billie's Bounce or Straight, No Chaser) with two or three improvised choruses
- A jazz standard of your choice (such as Autumn Leaves, All the Things You Are, Oleo) with improvised choruses
- Jazz sight reading
Master of Music in Jazz Studies
The prospective student must:
1. Present a minimum of six pieces of jazz repertoire ( of your choice):
- swing tune
- bop tune
- Latin tune (preferably in Portuguese)
- scat solo transcription
- one additional tune of your choice, which could be an original composition
Your audition pieces should represent standard forms (AABA, etc.), as well as standard jazz compositions. You will be asked to scat sing on your choice of these pieces.
2. Play piano on one or more of your selections.
3. If you have a "gig" book, please bring it to the audition.
4. Present a jazz repertoire list. This may be the index for your "gig" book. You may also include a classical repertoire list if you wish.
5. Demonstrate a minimum of one-and-one-half octave range including successful negotiation of the passaggio.