Contact the Music Graduate Office
Merrill Hall 011
1201 E. 3rd Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
Office hours: 9:00 am-12:00 pm, 1:00-4:00 pm
E-mail: musgrad [at] indiana [dot] edu
- musicdgs [at] indiana [dot] edu (Prof. Eric Isaacson), Director
- serbes [at] indiana [dot] edu (Sara Erbes), Academic Advisor
- anmiller [at] indiana [dot] edu (Angie Miller), Recorder
- musgrad [at] indiana [dot] edu (Sherri Bishop), Secretary
- musdoc [at] indiana [dot] edu (Jennifer Kirby), Doctoral Clerk
Enrollment in a major ensemble is required every semester for all diploma and visiting students (and for most master's students and some doctoral students). It is also sometimes required for students in those categories who register in any credit hours in the JSoM summer session. Contact the Music Graduate Office for details of the latest summer ensemble enrollment policies.
Major ensembles carry two credit hours, but students are not charged tuition for the credits. The credit hours do, however, count toward full-time enrollment requirements.
The minimum grade required in ensemble is a "B" or higher. The grade in ensemble counts as part of a student's grade point average.
The ensembles that are classed as "major ensembles" are:
- MUS-X 002 Piano Accompanying
- MUS-X 040 University Instrumental Ensembles
- MUS-X 060 Early Music Ensemble
- MUS-X 070 University Choral Ensembles
- MUS-X 080 Opera Technical Crew (for stage direction majors only)
Most degrees and programs require a specific major ensemble (for example, voice majors are required to register in MUS-X 070 University Choral Ensembles). Check your degree requirements to determine which ensemble you are required to participate in.
Master’s degrees fall into two categories in relation to ensemble policies. Some degrees require enrollment in 2 credits of a major ensemble every semester of registration until graduation, and some degrees require enrollment in 2 credits of a major ensemble every semester until four fall-spring enrollments in ensemble are reached or the student graduates. For the second category, students are not required to continue to enroll in ensemble after their fourth semester in the master’s program (but are required to register for the first four semesters).
Check your degree requirements in the Jacobs School of Music bulletin to determine which ensemble requirement your major follows. More information can be found here.
Master of Music in Music Education During the summer, MME students enrolled only in courses that do not involve individual studio study, and that have a total duration of no more than four weeks within the second summer session, are not required to be in ensemble. This policy applies to MME students only.
Ensemble auditions take place either during orientation week or during the first week of classes (depending on the area). Information is supplied at orientation sign in or through the department.
- Choral Auditions (MUS-X 070)
- String Auditions (MUS-X 040): contact the Instrumental Ensembles office at (812) 855-9804 (Sycamore 246)
- Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion orchestral auditions (MUS-X 040): contact the Instrumental Ensembles office at (812) 855-9804 (Sycamore 246)
- Band auditions (MUS-X 040)
- Early Music Majors (MUS-X 060): Early Music majors can contact the Early Music Department at (812) 855-4088 for information about Early Music Ensemble placement.