Contact the Undergraduate Office
E-mail: musug [at] indiana [dot] edu
- musicdus [at] indiana [dot] edu (Prof. Joey Tartell), Director
- ewoodley [at] indiana [dot] edu (Erin Woodley), Advisor
- wtilghma [at] indiana [dot] edu (Bill Tilghman), Recorder
- musug [at] indiana [dot] edu (Abby Koop), Secretary
Music Minor for
To declare a music minor, you must complete a minor form online at the link above. You must have a declared major in another school (not in University Division) in order to apply.
20 credits hours, of which at least 15, including a minimum of one core course, must be taken on the Bloomington campus. A grade of C- or better is required in all courses.
- Core, 6 credit hours -- one of the following combinations: MUS Z111 and Z101; T109 and T151; T109 and Z101; T151 alone (with an additional course in electives) or a combination of higher MUS-Z theory classes (MUS-T109 credit may be earned by completion of Music Fundamentals Online mfo.music.indiana.edu)
- Ensemble, 2 credit hours -- 2 semesters of X1 (non-major ensemble); AAAD-A110 African American Choral Ensemble (2 cr.), or by audition 1 semester (2 cr.) of X40 Instrumental Ensemble, X70 Choral Ensemble, X30 Ballet Ensemble, X50 Marching Hundred, X60 Early Music ensemble, AAAD-A120 Soul Revue; or Z100 The Live Musical Experience; or Z161 Steel Drumming or Z162 Hand Drumming or Z130 Musical Performance Contexts (3 cr.).
- Music Electives, 12 credit hours. Typically MUS-Z courses. A maximum of 3 credit hours in elective performance study (Z110, L101, L102, L121, L122, P110, P120) are counted. No credit hours may be in ensemble. At least 9 credit hours must be at the 300 level or higher.
For the full list of MUS-Z courses, see http://music.indiana.edu/departments/academic/general-studies/courses/index.shtml
Non music major opportunities
Any student may register for non-major lessons on an instrument. The course number is MUS Z110, listed by instrument/voice section for 2 credit hours. You will be notified by email of your teacher assignment during the first week of classes.
Any student may register for the all campus ensembles (X1) for 1 credit hour. These ensembles rehearse one or two evenings per week and do not require an audition. If you wish to audition for a major ensemble (X*0), contact the following offices for audition information.
- Band Department-812-855-1372
Marching Hundred, Concert bands
- Choral Office-812-855-0427
Singing Hoosiers, International Vocal Ensemble, various choirs
- Early Music Ensembles-812-855-4088
- Instrumental Office-812-855-9804
Jazz Bands, Orchestras