High School Composition Competition
A $60,000* undergraduate scholarship from Indiana University ($15,000 per year for four years) for a major in composition at the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music.
* A $20,000 scholarship ($5,000 per year for four years) will be awarded if the competition winner is an Indiana resident.
• Entrants must be currently finishing their final year of high school. There is no restriction concerning citizenship.
• Composers entering the competition should be prepared to enter college or university in the fall following graduation from high school.
• To be eligible to receive the award, the winner of the competition must be accepted into an undergraduate degree program of the Indiana University School of Music Composition Department.* Note that the deadline for application to the Jacobs School of Music is November 1.
• Composers are invited to submit legible scores for up to two (2) works, of any instrumentation and duration.
• Students entering the competition should complete the competition entry form.
The competition will be judged by the Indiana University School of Music composition faculty; the decision of the judges is final. If in their opinion no submitted works are worthy of the award, none will be made.
Submission and Deadline
Scores (PDF), completed competition entry form, and optional recordings (mp3) should be sent by email (15MB max.) to email@example.com, using the subject line: "High School Composition Competition"
(See the forms above for more formatting information)
Submissions must be received by December 1.
Finalists will be notified by January 20.
The winning composer will be notified by May 1.
1993 Daniel Dixon Kellogg (Wilton, CT)
1994 Sherene Strausberg (Baltimore, MD)
1995 Matthew Van Brink (East Northport, NY)
1996 Sarah Polk (Tucson, AZ)
1997 Ryan Deasy (Indianapolis, IN)
1998 Ryan Howard (Foster City, CA)
1999 Robert DeVries (Farmington Hills, MI)
2000 John Rodney Glover (Bloomfield, MI)
2001 Jeffrey Stanek (Madison, WI)
2002 Erik Norman (Huntington Beach, CA)
2003 Sarah Gibson (Atlanta, GA)
2004 Trevor Edge (Columbus, OH)
2006 Max Grafe (Wallkill, NY)
2007 Jacob Shrum (Oswego, IL)
2008 Evan Rees (Westwood, MA)
2009 Thomas Morris (Decatur, GA)
2010 Connor Lidell (Arlington, TX)
2011 June Lee (Bloomington IN)
2012 Grant Luhmann (Lino Lakes, MN)
* Among the determinants for admission to Indiana University and the School of Music are an (optional) audition in at least one area of performance, the evaluation of scores by the composition faculty, and an examination in the basic knowledge of music theory. For full details on admission, please contact:
Office of Music Admissions and Financial Aid
Merrill Hall 101
1201 E Third Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
School of Music Admissions Website