Policies & Examinations
BME, BSOF, BM, MM, and PD Hearing Procedures
- After the student has discussed his/her recital with their teacher, the student schedules their recital online at http://www.music.indiana.edu/departments/offices/business-affairs/recital-scheduling/create-program-online.shtml
- Once the student's program and recital date are approved and the student receives a confirmation email from the recital scheduling office, the student is responsible for scheduling their own hearing.Departmental string hearings are necessary for only the following degrees: BME, BSOF, BM(Jr.), BM (Sr.), MM, and PD. DM and AD programs are heard by the student’s appropriate committee.
- Once the recital is approved, the student MUST contact the chair of the string department to schedule their own hearing.
- ***PLEASE NOTE THAT IT IS THE STUDENT'S RESPONSIBILITY TO SCHEDULE THEIR OWN HEARING IMMEDIATELY AFTER THEY RECEIVE CONFIRMATION OF THEIR RECITAL DATE FROM THE RECITAL SCHEDULING OFFICE***
- The String Department Chair then assigns hearing times and places, and e-mails this information to the entire string student body and string faculty, usually updating the hearing schedule each week during the semester. Normally hearings are only on Thursdays 4:15-6:30 and Fridays 4:15-6:30. A hard copy will always be posted next to MA157.
- In signing up for a recital date, the student must be ready to play the hearing anywhere from 5-14 days ahead of the recital. This information should be shared with the accompanist (or other players) right away, as it is critical that all players be on call for hearings. The student should also contact the recital scheduling office to reserve a dress rehearsal time in the hall.