Frequently Asked Questions
MITS Quick Links
- Classroom technology
- Instructional technology links
- Instructional technology introduction
- MITS on Canvas
- How do I get my first computing accounts at Indiana University Bloomington?
- How do I request a Group Account at Indiana University?
- How do I schedule a room in JSoM?
- How can I share files with other users?
- How can I access my email from home?
- What do I do if my email is over quota?
- How do I check my print quota?
- Why isn't my phone working?
- Why isn't my printer working?
- Does MITS have any portable equipment that I can take to a non-equipped room or to a conference?
- How do I login to Windows PCs in the Jacobs School of Music?
- What should I do if my computer keeps locking up?
- When should I restart my computer (Start – Shutdown and choose Restart)?
- What should I do if my Flash Drive is not working?
- My hard drive is getting full. What can I do to free up space?
A: Susie Buzan (musched [at] indiana [dot] edu) handles all of the room and performance hall scheduling in the JSoM.
Back to top
A: Faust has a folder called "Sandbox" that people can use to share files with other departments. It is located at: \\faust.music.indiana.edu\music\groups\sandbox.
A: Email is most easily accessed remotely via web browsers.
- Exchange/Outlook users point your browswer to: http://www.exchange.iu.edu
- Other users (Webmail) point your browser to: http://webmail.iu.edu
A: When you sit down at a Windows computer in your office at JSoM, you'll see a login prompt. To log in, you need an ADS Domain account. To log into the computer, follow the instructions below:
- Press Ctrl-Alt-Del.
- In the "Username" field, type your username.
- In the "Password" field, type the password for your ADS Domain account. Unless you've changed it, this is the same password for your IU network password (probably the same as your IU email password).
- Make sure the third line selection is "ADS"
- Click OK.
Note: If you get an error message, you may have typed your username or password incorrectly. Repeat the login process. If you're still unable to log in, you may not have an ADS Domain account or the password is incorrect. Please call 855-7832 or 855-6789 for more help.
A: Computers and their various programs sometimes freeze. Don't panic. It is best if you save all current programs frequently. If your computer freezes press Ctrl-Alt-Del and attempt to log off. If you are able, Re-Logging in to your computer should fix the problem.
If that doesn't fix the problem, try Restarting your computer. If your computer keeps locking up on a certain program, you should report it to MITS by sending an email to musicits [at] indiana [dot] edu.
A: Restart your computer if:
- You are experiencing computer lockups.
- The computer is running noticeably slow
- You see your Norton Antivirus shield (bottom right) with a red circle around it.
A: The flash drive is trying to use the F: drive which is mapped to Faust, you will need to change the drive letter the flash drive is using. Do so by:
- Right mouse-click on “My Computer” and select “Manage”
- Click on “Disk Management”
- Right mouse-click on “Disk 1 Removable” and select “Change Drive Letter and Path”
- Click “Change” and give it another drive letter (e.g., G)
- Click OK at the message that follows.
A: Do one or all of the following
- Clean out your deleted items
- Save large attachment files to your computer and delete the message
- Create an archive file. See the tutorial entitled: Setting up an Archive Folder in Outlook (pdf)
A: Point your browser to: https://stcweb.stc.indiana.edu/Framework/Apps/Print/
Back to top
A: You can delete the files from the following folders:
- C:\Temp – You might not have that folder, however if you do, you can delete everything in there.
- C:\Windows\Temp – You can do an Edit – Select All and delete everything in that folder. (make sure to close your programs down first since they are considered temp files when they are open)
- C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Temp – You can do an Edit – Select All and delete everything in that folder. (If you don’t see Local Settings folder, click on Tools – Folder Options – View Tab and Select the Show hidden files and folders option.)
A: Yes, MITS has the following that can be reserved by sending an email to: musiclib_circ [at] indiana [dot] edu.
- 4 projectors (connect to laptops using VGA)
- 4 PC Laptops
- 2 MAC Laptops
- 1 Digital Camera
- 1 Digital MiniDV Camcorder
- 1 PolyCom Phone Conferencing Unit
A: If your phone is not working please check the following:
- Is Lync up and running on the computer? If not, please open Lync and log in.
- Restart your computer. Sometimes Lync, or the phone, will need a full restart if the computer has been left on for an extended period of time.
A: There are many reasons why your printer might not work, but the ways to fix it are generally simple.
Some general tips to try when your printer is not working, before calling for tech support:
- Check the paper tray to make sure there is paper.
- Check the paper tray to make sure there is NOT too much paper. The tray should be about half full of paper.
- Make sure you are using the correct printer paper. You can get your printer paper from Gina in the Mailroom.
- Check to be sure the paper tray is completely closed.
- Turn the printer off and back on.
- If you are printing a very large document, print the document in three to four pages at a time instead of all the pages at one time.
- Verify the printer cable is plugged into the back of the printer.