Marching Hundred Hall Fund

The Marching Hundred Hall Fund is in support of the construction of the Ray E. Cramer Marching Hundred Hall. The permanent practice facility for Indiana University's famed marching band, the Marching Hundred, is located on 17th Street across from the athletics facilities and next to the Virgil T. DeVault Alumni Center. It is named for Ray Cramer, who directed the band from 1972 to 1982. For over 30 years, the Marching Hundred has not had a permanent or reliable location in which to practice. The new building will allow them to have the space for practicing as well as to store their instruments.

The IU Marching Hundred was first formed in 1896 as a recreational activity for IU's students. The 22-member band in 1896 grew to 47 members in 1913, and to 280 members by 2012. In 1925, John Philip Sousa visited Bloomington, and declared the Marching Hundred "one of the snappiest marching and playing bands in the country." The band performs at all home IU football games, one away game, several campus events, and bowl games. The Marching Hundred has appeared at the Kentucky Derby (1939), the Presidentail Inaugural Parade (1953), the Rose Bowl (1968), the Holiday Bowl (1979), the All-American Bowl (1986), the Peach Bowl (1988 and 1990), the Liberty Bowl (1988), the Copper Bowl (1991), the Independence Bowl (1993), and the Insight Bowl (2007).

In 2007, the Marching Hundred was awarded the Sudler Trophy, named as an outstanding college marching band in the country. In 2012, the ensemble was the only band in the country to be selected to perform at the Super Bowl XLVI in Indianapolis. Today, it is led by David C. Woodley who has served as director since 1993.

For more information on the Marching Hundred and the Ray E. Cramer Marching Hundred Hall, please visit here.