The Auto-W deadline for dropped classes (for courses that last the entire semester of spring 2020) has been extended to April 5.  In most cases, that is the latest you can drop a class. You can use the eDrop function to drop a class.

To add a class, email the Music Graduate Office with that request and we can assist you in making that change.

The Music Graduate Office staff are working remotely for the remainder of the spring semester.  Please contact us by phone or email.

We are accepting Program Planning Sheets for summer 2020 now and will start to accept them for fall 2020 on April 1.

Recent Announcements


Contact the Music Graduate Office

Office Location
East Studio Building 120 (JS 120)
205 S. Jordan Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405

Mailing Address
1201 E. 3rd Street
Bloomington, IN 47405

Hours: 8 am–12 pm, 1–5 pm
Phone: 812-855-1738Phone

E-mail: musgrad [at] indiana [dot] edu

musicdgs [at] indiana [dot] edu (Eric Isaacson), Director 
serbes [at] indiana [dot] edu (Sara Erbes), Advisor
anmiller [at] indiana [dot] edu (Angie Miller), Recorder
musgrad [at] indiana [dot] edu (Laurie Staring), Secretary
musdoc [at] indiana [dot] edu (Janis Cooper Parker), Doctoral Clerk

More Information

Returning to IU and the Jacobs School of Music

If you have taken time away from your work in a Jacobs School of Music graduate program and would like to return to complete it, you can ask to do that by getting in touch with the Music Graduate Office. The steps you need to take depend on the particular degree or diploma program and where you stand in relation to the time limit for your program.

Time limits for master's programs

Time limits for doctoral programs

Time limits for diploma programs

If you are still within the time limit for completing your program, you may simply register for classes and return. You can do this by submitting a program planning sheet. You can make an appointment to speak with the graduate advisor for advice on choosing courses and planning your work.

If you have not registered for classes for one calendar year (or more), then you will also be required to fill out the Student Criminal Activity Disclosure form along with submitting your program planning sheet. You can either scan the completed form and email it to, fax it, mail it, or drop it off in the Music Graduate Office.

If you are beyond the time limit for your program, you will need to follow various steps to be able to return. This can involve readmission to the program, revalidation of classes, a change to the current requirements of the degree, and other requirements, depending on the situation. In general, course work and exams more than 7 years old in a master's degree will need to be revalidated, and courses more than 10 years old in a doctoral degree will need to be revalidated.

Start by sending a note to outlining your situation, including what musical things you have been doing since leaving the program and when you hope to return. The Music Graduate Office and director of graduate studies will get in touch outlining what you need to do; you may schedule an appointment to discuss your plans if you like.

If you have graduated from one program and would like to start a new one at IU, please get in touch with the Office of Music Admissions office.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Music Graduate Office