Faculty Resources

Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificate Programs

The Jacobs School of Music is a professional school that offers instruction at the highest level in a wide variety of curricula to meet the needs of many students. Students choose a specific degree because of career interests, ability, and background. Your studio will likely include a mix of undergraduate and graduate students purusing various degrees, and this mix is an essential component of our multi-faceted school and profession. Each degree places its own set of demands on students, and as a member of this faculty you should be aware of the various components of your students' degree programs as you set your expectations for achievement in your own area. The Jacobs School of Music Bulletin contains complete descriptions of all degrees.

Following are general descriptions of the degrees, diplomas, and certificates currently offered by the Jacobs School of Music:

Undergraduate Programs

AS The Associate of Science degree is typically a two-year program and is offered in two areas related to music: audio engineering and string instrument technology. These programs do not necessarily require a background in music unless they are being used as the outside field for a BSOF degree in music.

BM The Bachelor of Music degree can be in performance (historical or modern instrument or voice), in composition, or in jazz studies. This degree is an intensive program of music study that prepares students for a variety of careers as professional musicians.

BME For students whose interest is in teaching band, orchestra, chorus, or general music in the public schools, the Bachelor of Music Education provides the courses and experiences necessary for teaching certification in the state of Indiana and, by reciprocity agreement, in most other states. The BME curricula include specializations in either general music, choral music, instrumental (band) or instrumental (string). The BME degree requires more courses than any other music degree; although it can be accomplished in eight semesters, most BME students choose to study one or more summers or an extra semester or two to lighten the course load. BM students can also be certified to teach after completing an undergraduate degree in performance by following it with a Master of Science in Music Education graduate degree, which includes teaching certification.

BSOF The Bachelor of Science in Music and an Outside Field is designed to provide students an opportunity to study music as a major and also another field at nearly the level of a major (27 credit hours). The field in music can be instrumental or vocal performance, composition, jazz studies, or ballet. The outside field can be in most other degree-granting areas of the university; some of the most common choices are languages, theater, business, media, speech, and mathematics. The outside field can also consist of the major field coursework of one of the AS degrees in music-related technical areas (see above). Yet another option for the outside field is an "Individualized Music Cognate Area." This consists of 27 credit hours in a variety of fields carefully selected to meet some particular interest of a student. For example, a student may be interested in music therapy (an area in which IU Bloomington does not have a degree program). By choosing specific courses from music, music education, recreation, and psychology, a student could construct an Individualized Music Cognate Area which would leave only a minimal amount of additional graduate and clinical work for certification as a music therapist. Students who wish to pursue an Individualized Music Cognate Area must have two faculty advisors and have the chosen program of study approved.

BS Bachelor of Science degrees are offered in Audio Engineering and Sound Production and in Ballet. These programs prepare students for professional careers in these fields.

Master's Programs

MA The Master of Arts is available with a major in musicology and is awarded by the University Graduate School. In addition, there is a dual degree program combining the Master of Arts in musicology and the Master of Library Science.

MM The Master of Music degree is offered in music performance, conducting (choral, orchestral, and wind), early music, jazz studies, organ and sacred music, composition, computer music composition, and music theory. In addition, there is a dual degree program combining the Master of Music in music theory and the Master of Library Science. Most of the students who pursue this degree have professional performance ambitions.

MME The Master of Music Education degree presupposes an undergraduate degree in music education, although some students with interests in music pedagogy also may be accepted. The focus of this degree is the further development of knowledge and skills in a particular teaching area or preparation for research at the doctoral level.

MS The Master of Science in Music Education is offered to students who have an undergraduate degree in a musical field other than music education and who want to meet the requirements for state music teaching certification.

Doctoral Programs

DM The Doctor of Music degree is offered in all performance areas of the School, and in composition, choral conducting, orchestral conducting, wind conducting, early music, and organ and sacred music. Many students in this program intend to pursue college music teaching as a career.

DME The Doctor of Music Education degree is a professional music education doctorate with a focus on the theory and practice of teaching, as well as research and scholarship.

PhD The Doctor of Philosophy degree is awarded through the University Graduate School in music education, music theory and musicology. The PhD requires extensive scholarly preparation.

Diploma Programs

PD  The Performer Diploma is designed to provide concentrated performance study without the academic requirements of a graduate degree program. The level of performance ability expected is that of an exiting MM student. Options include:

Performer Diploma, Chamber Music

Performer Diploma, Collaborative Piano

Performer Diploma, Orchestral Studies

Performer Diploma, Solo Performance

The Performer Diploma, Orchestral Studies and Performer Diploma, Chamber Music are open only to string majors.

AD The Artist Diploma has the highest level of performance expectations of any degree or diploma program in the school. The few students accepted to this program should already be on a level of performance necessary for admission to the first round of an international performance competition.

Certificate Programs

Credit certificate programs are offered in specialized areas in the Jacobs School of Music. They include 12-29 credit hours of course work. The targeted audience may be undergraduate music majors or non-majors at Indiana University, undergraduate students at other institutions, or other interested individuals who meet stated admissions requirements. Certificates are currently available in the following areas:

Undergraduate Graduate
Audio Analog Electronics Analog Audio Electronics
Music Education
Vocology for Vocalists

Other Programs

A student who wishes to attend the Jacobs School of Music for no more than one academic year for a particular purpose may be admitted as a Visiting Student. Unlike degree candidates, visiting students need not meet English language proficiency requirements, and beyond maintaining a full credit hour load and participating in ensemble, are not required to enroll in any prescribed curriculum. Visiting students can be admitted only after the needs of degree students have been met, especially in restricted areas such as performance study. Visiting students are not eligible for financial aid.

Non-degree status is available on an exceptional basis for undergraduate- and graduate-level students who wish to study for a particular purpose (such as extending teaching certification) for a short period of time (summer session, for example).